Day's Journey (Exodus xvi. 29; Acts i. 12), with the Jews was
not to exceed the distance between the ark and the extreme end of the
camp. This was 2,000 cubits, somewhat short of an English mile. (Exodus
xvi. 29: Acts i. 12.)
Up to the hill by Hebron, seat of giants old,
No journey of a Sabbath Day, and loaded so.
Milton: Samson Agonistes.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Sabbath from Fact Monster:
- Sabbath - Sabbath Sabbath [Heb.,=repose], in Judaism, last day of the week (Saturday), observed as a rest day ...
- Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzy Osbourne (John Michael Osbourne) singer Born: 12/3/1948 Birthplace: Birmingham, England ...
- Laws to Know - Laws to Know Hammurabi, the king of Babylon in the eighteenth century B.C., was the first to record ...
- Sunday - Sunday: Sunday: see Sabbath; week.
- Friday - Friday: Friday: see Sabbath; week.