(2 syl.). According to tradition, on the triumphant return of
Maximilian to Germany, after his second campaign, the town of Augsburg
ordered 100 rounds of cannon to be discharged. The officer on service,
fearing to have fallen short of the number, caused an extra round to be
added. The town of Nuremberg ordered a like salute, and the custom
in the British navy, between two ships of equal rank, is made by
firing an equal number of guns. If the vessels are of unequal rank, the
superior fires the fewer rounds.
in the British navy, consists (1) in firing twenty-one great guns,
(2) in the officers lowering their sword-points, and (3) in dipping
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Salute from Fact Monster:
- Îles du Salut - Îles du Salut Îles du Salut or Safety Islands,small archipelago, off French Guiana in ...
- Safety Islands - Safety Islands: Safety Islands: see Îles du Salut.
- Forms of Address - Forms of Address Source: Webster's II New Riverside University Dictionary. © 1984 by ...
- Mary, persons in the Bible - Mary Mary, in the New Testament. 1. Mary, the Virgin. 2. Mary Magdalene. 3. Wife of Cleophas. 4. ...
- Devils Island - Devils Island Devils Island, Fr. Île du Diable, the smallest and southernmost of the ...