according to 1 Kings xvi. 24, means the hill of Shemer. Omri “bought the hill Samaria of Shemer for two talents of silver, and built
on the hill, and called the name of [his] city ... after the name of
Shemer ... Samaria.” (B.C. 925.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Samaria from Fact Monster:
- Samaria - Samaria Samaria , city, ancient Palestine, on a hill NW of modern-day Nablus (Shechem). The site is ...
- Nibhaz - Nibhaz Nibhaz , in the Bible, deity worshiped in Samaria by the captive Avites.
- Succoth-benoth - Succoth-benoth Succoth-benoth , in the Bible, deity worshiped by Babylonian captives in Samaria.
- Cherith - Cherith Cherith , in the Bible, brook flowing into the Jordan opposite Samaria.
- Archevites - Archevites Archevites , in the Bible, colonists sent into Samaria by the Assyrian government. They ...