(The). The vest of penitence. It was a coarse yellow
tunic worn by persons condemned to death by the Inquisition on their
way to the auto da fé; it was painted over with flames, demons,
etc. In the case of those who expressed repentance for their errors,
the flames were directed downwards. Penitents who had been taken before
the Inquisition had to wear this badge for a stated period. Those worn
by Jews, sorcerers, and renegades bore a St. Andrew's cross in red on
back and front.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on San Benito from Fact Monster:
- San Benito - San Benito San Benito , city (1990 pop. 20,125), Cameron co., extreme S Tex.; inc. 1911. San Benito ...
- - Can't read file california/san-benito-county/default.html
- Flores, town, Guatemala - Flores Flores , town (1990 est. pop. 2,200), capital of Petén department, N Guatemala. ...
- Alonso Berruguete - Berruguete, Alonso Berruguete, Alonso , c.1480–1561, Spanish mannerist sculptor. Probably the ...
- Barbara L. CUBIN - CUBIN, Barbara L. (1946—) CUBIN, Barbara L., a Representative from Wyoming; born in Salinas, ...