A piece of meat between two slices of bread; so called from the
Earl of Sandwich (the noted
“Jemmy Twitcher”), who passed whole days in gambling, bidding the
waiter bring him for refreshment a piece of meat between two pieces of
bread, which he ate without stopping from play. This contrivance was
not first hit upon by the earl in the reign of George III., as the
Romans were very fond of “sandwiches,” called by them offula.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Sandwich from Fact Monster:
- sandwich, food - sandwich sandwich, a piece of meat or other food placed between two slices of bread. Although food ...
- Sandwich, city, Canada - Sandwich Sandwich, Ont., Canada, part (since 1935) of the city of Windsor.
- Sandwich, town, England - Sandwich Sandwich, town (1991 pop. 4,184), Kent, SE England, on the Stour River. It is a resort and ...
- Sandwich, John Montagu, 4th earl of - Sandwich, John Montagu, 4th earl of Sandwich, John Montagu, 4th earl of, 1718–92, British ...
- Sandwich, Edward Montagu, 1st earl of - Sandwich, Edward Montagu, 1st earl of Sandwich, Edward Montagu, 1st earl of , 1625–72, ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring