in Hebrew, means enemy.
“To whom the Arch-enemy (And hence in heaven called Satan).”
Milton: Paradise Lost, bk. i. 81, 82.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Satan from Fact Monster:
- Satanism - Satanism. Satanism. The cult of Satan, or Satan worship, is in part a survival of the ancient ...
- Satan - Satan Satan [Heb.,=adversary], traditional opponent of God and humanity in Judaism and ...
- Satan - Biography of Satan, Evil personified
- Belial - Belial Belial , name applied to Satan.
- devil - devil: devil: see Satan; demon; exorcism.