To save appearances. To do something to obviate or prevent
exposure or embarrassment.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Save from Fact Monster:
- Budget and Savings Calculators - budget and savings calculators
- Daylight Saving Time - Starting in 2007, "daylight time" will be observed from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November, adding about a month to the current daylight saving time (the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October).
- savings bank - savings bank savings bank, financial institution that, until recently, performed only the following ...
- Daylight Saving Time - Daylight Saving Time The United States. Daylight saving time, also called “summer ...
- savings and loan association - savings and loan association savings and loan association, type of financial institution that was ...