So called because its tender rootlets will penetrate the
hardest rock, and break it up.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Saxifrage from Fact Monster:
- saxifrage - saxifrage saxifrage , common name for several members of the Saxifragaceae, a family of widely ...
- rockfoil - rockfoil: rockfoil: see saxifrage.
- miterwort - miterwort: miterwort: see saxifrage.
- hydrangea - hydrangea hydrangea : see saxifrage.
- foamflower - foamflower: foamflower: see saxifrage.