Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow
(Isa. i. 18). The allusion is to the scarlet fillet tied round the head
of the scapegoat. Though your sins be as scarlet as the fillet on the
head of the goat to which the high priest has transferred the sins of
the whole nation, yet shall they be forgiven and wiped out.
(Will). One of the companions of Robin Hood.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Scarlet from Fact Monster:
- scarlet fever - scarlet fever scarlet fever or scarlatina,an acute, communicable infection, caused by group A ...
- scarlet runner - scarlet runner: scarlet runner: see bean.
- bean - bean bean, name applied to the seeds of leguminous trees and shrubs and to various leguminous ...
- Hester Prynne - Biography of Hester Prynne, Adulterous heroine of The Scarlet Letter
- tanager - tanager tanager , any of the small, migratory perching birds of the family Thraupidae, chiefly of ...