It is said that scorpions have an oil which is a remedy
against their stings. The toad also is said to have an antidote to its “venom.”
`Tis true, a scorpion's oil is said
To cure the wounds the venom made,
And weapons dréssed with salves restore
And heal the hurts they gave before.
Butler: Hudibras, iii. 2.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Scorpion from Fact Monster:
- scorpion - scorpion scorpion, any arachnid of the order Scorpionida with a hollow poisonous stinger at the tip ...
- Scorpius - Scorpius Scorpius or Scorpio[Lat.,=the scorpion], conspicuous southern constellation lying on the ...
- constellation, in astronomy - constellation constellation, in common usage, group of stars that appear to form a configuration in ...
- Dangerous Animals - Dangerous animals
- The Zodiac - The Zodiac The constellations have been called humanity's oldest picture book. For 5,000 and ...