The palace of the Turkish sultan, situated in the Golden Horn,
and enclosed by walls seven miles and a half in circuit. The chief
entrance is the Sublime Gate; and the chief of the large
edifices is the Harem, or “sacred spot,” which contains numerous
houses, one for each of the sultan's wives, and others for his
concubines. The black eunuchs form the inner guard, and the white
eunuchs the second guard. The Seraglio may be visited by strangers; not
so the Harem.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Seraglio from Fact Monster:
- Istanbul - Istanbul Istanbul , city (1990 pop. 6,748,435), capital of Istanbul prov., NW Turkey, on both sides ...
- Seraglio - Seraglio: Seraglio: see Istanbul, Turkey.
- Renée Fleming - Fleming, Renée Fleming, Renée, 1959–, American soprano, b. Indiana, Pa. She ...
- harem - harem harem [Arabic], term applied to women's apartments in a Muslim household. In the ancient ...
- Istanbul: Points of Interest - Points of Interest The city is visited by many tourists and is a popular resort. The environs of ...