The Ptolemaic form of the Egyptian Osiris. The word is a
corruption of osorapis (dead apis, or rather
“osirified apis”), a deity which had so many things in common with
Osiris that it is not at all easy to distinguish them.
Symbol of the Nile and of fertility.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Serapis from Fact Monster:
- Serapis - Serapis Serapis or Sarapis, Egyptian god whose devotees united the worship of the Apis bull and the ...
- Sarapis - Sarapis: Sarapis: see Serapis.
- Apis - Apis Apis , in Egyptian religion, sacred bull of Memphis, said to be the incarnation of Osiris or ...
- Harpocrates - Harpocrates Harpocrates , the Greek name for the Egyptian sky god Horus. He was represented as a ...
- John Paul Jones: Revolutionary War Hero - Revolutionary War Hero In 1777, Jones was given command of the Ranger, fresh from the Portsmouth ...