(3 syl.). Oily grain of the natural order Pedaliaceae,
originally from India. In Egypt they eat sesame cakes, and the Jews
frequently add the seed to their bread. The cakes made of sesame oil,
mixed with honey
and preserved citron, are considered an Oriental luxury; sesame is
excellent also for puddings. (See Open Sesame.)
“Among the numerous objects ... was a black horse ... On one side of
its manager there was clean barley and sesame and the other was filled
with rose-water.” —Arabian Nights (Third Calender).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Sesame from Fact Monster:
- sesame - sesame sesame , herb (Sesamum indicum or orientale) cultivated for its seeds since ancient times, ...
- Hangman - Sesame Street Characters - Sesame Street Characters Try Another Program based on "Hangman" by Jan Mulder (GPL) Word ...
- Abadeh - Abadeh Abadeh , town (1991 pop. 44,967), Fars prov., S central Iran. It is the trade center for a ...
- What does it mean? plumose - plumose -- Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Who of these denizens of Sesame ...
- Raichur - Raichur Raichur , city (1991 pop. 170,577), Karnataka state, S central India. It is a district ...