Captain Shandy is called Uncle Toby. He was wounded at
the siege of Namur, and had retired from the service. He is benevolent
and generous, simple as a child, brave as a lion, and gallant as a
courtier. His modesty with Widow Wadman and his military tastes are
admirable. He is said to be drawn for Sterne's father. (Tristram
Mrs. Elizabeth Shandy,
mother of Tristram. The beau-ideal of nonentity. Sir Walter
Scott describes her as a “good lady of the poco-curante school.” (Sterne: Tristram Shandy.
The hero of Sterne's novel so called.
Tristram's father. He is a metaphysical Don Quixote in his way,
full of superstitious and idle conceits. He believes in long noses and
propitious names, but his son's nose is crushed, and his name is
Tristram instead of Trismegistus. (Sterne: Tristram Shandy.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Shandy from Fact Monster:
- anecdote - anecdote anecdote , brief narrative of a particular incident. An anecdote differs from a short ...
- Laurence Sterne - Sterne, Laurence Sterne, Laurence , 1713–68, English author, b. Ireland. Educated at ...
- Gillian Anderson - Biography of Gillian Anderson, Alien-hunting heartthrob on The X-Files
- novel: Early European Novels - Early European Novels The realistic and romantic tendencies converge in Cervantes's Don Quixote ...
- 1983 Grammy Awards - 1983 Grammy Awards Michael Jackson Archive Photos Record of the Year “Beat It,” Michael ...