Laid on the shelf, or shelved. A government officer no
longer actively employed; an actor no longer assigned a part; a young
lady past the ordinary age of marriage; a pawn at the broker's; a
question started and set aside. All mean laid up and put away.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Shelf from Fact Monster:
- continental shelf - continental shelf: continental shelf: see ocean.
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) BEAST : CREATURE :: shelf : _____ Hint ledge books wood Word Quiz Spelling ...
- ocean: Continental Shelves, Slopes, and Rises - Continental Shelves, Slopes, and Rises Virtually all continents are surrounded by a gently sloping ...
- Ross Island - Ross Island Ross Island, in the Ross Sea, Antarctica, on the edge of the Ross Ice Shelf. Part of ...
- What does it mean? - heifer --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Farmer Judy spent an hour looking for ...