(A) is a hollow iron ball, with a fuze-hole in it to
receive a fuze, which is a plug of wood containing gunpowder. It is
constructed to burn slowly, and, on firing, the piece ignites, and
continues to burn during its flight till it falls on the object at
which it is directed, when it bursts, scattering its fragments in all
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Shell from Fact Monster:
- shell - shell shell, in zoology, hard outer covering secreted by an animal for protection. It is also ...
- shell mound - shell mound shell mound, in archaeology, a mound consisting largely of the shells of edible ...
- shell money - shell money shell money, medium of exchange consisting of shells, the most widely distributed type ...
- tooth shell - tooth shell: tooth shell: see Mollusca.
- jingle shell - jingle shell: jingle shell: see mussel.