The password of a secret society; the secret by which those of
a party know each other. The Ephraimites quarrelled with Jephthah, and
Jephthah gathered together the men of Gilead and fought with Ephraim.
There were many fugitives, and when they tried to pass the Jordan the
guard told them to say Shibboleth, which the Ephraimites pronounced
Sibboleth, and by this test it was ascertained whether the person
wishing to cross the river was a friend or foe. (Judges xii. 1-16.)
“Their foes a deadly shibboleth devise.”
Dryden: Hind and Panther,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Shibboleth from Fact Monster:
- What does it mean? shibboleth - shibboleth -- Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Which of the following is an ...
- Shibboleth - Shibboleth Shibboleth , in the Bible, test word that the Gileadites made the Ephraimites pronounce. ...
- Sibboleth - Sibboleth: Sibboleth: see Shibboleth.
- Hiram BINGHAM - BINGHAM, Hiram (1875—1956) Senate Years of Service: 1924-1933 Party: Republican BINGHAM, ...
- Encyclopedia: Biblical Proper Names - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Biblical Proper Names.