(Mrs.). Sidney Smith says it was never without awe that he saw
this tragedy queen stab the potatoes; and Sir Walter Scott tells
us, while she was dining at Ashestiel, he heard her declaim to the
footman. “You've brought me water, boy! I asked for beer.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Siddons from Fact Monster:
- Sarah Kemble Siddons - Siddons, Sarah Kemble Siddons, Sarah Kemble, 1755–1831, English actress. The most ...
- Roger Kemble - Kemble, Roger Kemble, Roger, 1721–1802, English actor and manager. During his years as the ...
- Sarah Kemble - Kemble, Sarah: Kemble, Sarah: see Siddons, Sarah Kemble.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence - Lawrence, Sir Thomas Lawrence, Sir Thomas, 1769–1830, English portrait painter, b. Bristol. ...
- acting: Evolution of Acting - Evolution of Acting In the ancient Greek theater, acting was stylized; indeed, the large outdoor ...