(Hindu sikh, disciple.) The Sikhs were originally a
religious body like the Mahometans, but in 1764 they formally assumed
national independence. Since 1849 the Sikhs have been ruled by the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Sikh from Fact Monster:
- 1984 World History - 1984 World History Indira Gandhi (1917–1984) The Permanent Mission of India to the UN 1984 ...
- India - Information on India — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Sikhism - Sikhism Sikhism , religion centered in the Indian state of Punjab, numbering worldwide some 19 ...
- Ranjit Singh - Ranjit Singh Ranjit Singh , 1780–1839, Indian maharaja, ruler of the Sikhs. Seizing Lahore ...
- guru - guru guru , in Hinduism and Buddhism, spiritual teacher. The guru gives initiation into spiritual ...