Buying and selling church livings; any unlawful traffic in holy
things. So called from Simon Magus, who wanted to purchase the “gift of
the Holy Ghost,” that he might have the power of working miracles.
The friar in the tale of Reynard the Fox;
so called from
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Simony from Fact Monster:
- simony - simony simony , in canon law, buying or selling of any spiritual benefit or office. The name is ...
- Simon Magus - Simon Magus Simon Magus , Samaritan sorcerer who attempted to buy spiritual power from the ...
- Nicholas II, pope - Nicholas II Nicholas II (c.1010–61), pope (1058–61), a Roman named Gerard, b. Lorraine, ...
- Boniface IX - Boniface IX Boniface IX, c.1345–1404, pope (1389–1404), a Neapolitan named Pietro ...
- Second Lateran Council - Lateran Council, Second Lateran Council, Second, 1139, 10th ecumenical council of the Roman ...