slang for pocket. Explained under the word Chivy (q.v.).
To elevate, ennoble, raise. It is a term in ballooning; when
the ropes are cut, the balloon mounts upwards to the skies. (See Skied.)
“We found the same distinguished personage doing his best to sky some
dozen or so of his best friends [referring to the peers made by
Gladstone].” —The Times, November 16, 1869.
If the sky falls we shall catch larks.
A bantering reply to those who suggest some very improbable or wild
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Sky from Fact Monster:
- sky - sky sky, apparent dome over the earth, background of the clouds, sun, moon, and stars. The blue ...
- Planes - The world's notable passenger, fighter, bomber, experimental, and spy planes
- Winter Solstice - Dec. 21, 2010, 6:38 PM EST (23:38 UT), marks the solstice—the beginning of winter in the Northern Hemisphere and summer in the Southern Hemisphere
- Blue Moons: myths, facts, history, and dates - Learn about the astronomical phenomena of the blue moon, which only happens when an extra full moon appears during the year. The next blue moon will occur in November 2010.
- October Sky - Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Chris Cooper, William Lee Scott, Chad Lindberg, Laura Dern