(an acute sense). James Mitchell was deaf, dumb, and blind from
birth, “but he distinguished persons by their smell, and by means of
the same sense formed correct judgments as to character.” (Nineteenth Century, April, 1894, p. 579.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Smell from Fact Monster:
- smell - smell smell, sense that enables an organism to perceive and distinguish the odors of various ...
- KidVideos: How Snakes Smell - Kid video of How Snakes Smell.|Videos for Kids...by Kids
- SMELL - Humans have a very keen sense of smell: we can detect thousands of different smells. This ability relies on the presence of special sensory receptors
- smelling salts - smelling salts: smelling salts: see ammonia.
- ammonia - ammonia ammonia, chemical compound, NH3, colorless gas that is about one half as dense as air at ...