An exclamation of incredulity; a Mrs. Harris. A person tells an
incredible story, and the listener cries Snooks—gammon; or he
replies, It was Snooks—the host of the Château d'Espagne.
This word “snook” may be a corruption of Noakes or Nokes, the mythical
party at one time employed by lawyers to help them in actions of
ejectment. (See Styles.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Snooks from Fact Monster:
- bass, in zoology - bass bass , common name applied to various fishes of the families Serranidae (sea basses) and ...
- snook - snook: snook: see bass, fish.
- Fanny Brice - Brice, Fanny Brice, Fanny, 1891–1951, American comedienne, b. New York City as Fanny Borach. ...
- Aliens of the Deep - Starring James Cameron, Pamela Conrad, Dijanna Figueroa, Kelly Snook, Kevin Hand
- October 29 Birthdays: Fanny Brice - October 29 birthdays: Fanny Brice, Gabrielle Union, Richard Dreyfuss, Jean Giraudoux, James Boswell, Winona Ryder, R. B. Kitaj