(Latin). The sun.
“And when Dan Sol to slope his wheels began.”
Thomson: Castle of Indolence,
The term given by the ancient alchemists to gold. Silver was luna
. Sol in the Edda
was the daughter of Mundilfori, and sister of
Mani. She was so beautiful that at death she was placed in heaven to
drive the sunchariot. Two horses were yoked to it, named Arvakur and
). (Scandinavian mythology.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Sol from Fact Monster:
- colloid - colloid colloid [Gr.,=gluelike], a mixture in which one substance is divided into minute particles ...
- tonic sol-fa - tonic sol-fa: tonic sol-fa: see musical notation.
- Sol, in Roman religion - Sol Sol , in Roman religion, sun god. An ancient god of Mesopotamian origin, he was introduced ...
- Costa del Sol - Costa del Sol Costa del Sol , a strip of coastline, S. Spain, in Andalusia, extending from Motril ...
- Autumn Sun (Sol de otono) - Starring Norma Aleandro, Federico Luppi, Jorge Luz, Cecilia Rossetto, Roberto Carnaghi