The circular bank of islands forming the northern and eastern
boundaries of the Caribbean Sea, beginning from Mosquito, near the
isthmus, and including Jamaica, St. Domingo, the Leeward Islands, and
the Windward Islands, to the coast of Venezuela in South America.
“We turned conquerors, and invaded the main of Spain.” —Bacon.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Spanish Main from Fact Monster:
- Spanish Main - Spanish Main Spanish Main, mainland of Spanish America, particularly the coast of South America ...
- Philip Ainsworth Means - Means, Philip Ainsworth Means, Philip Ainsworth, 1892–1944, American historian and ...
- Jacques Jean David Nau - Nau, Jacques Jean David Nau, Jacques Jean David , c.1630–1671, French pirate in the West ...
- Spanish Loan Words - English Borrows from Spanish
- Cartagena, city, Colombia - Cartagena Cartagena , city (1993 pop. 616,231), capital of Bolívar dept., NW Colombia, a ...