The celebrated Latin hymn on the Crucifixion, which forms a
part of the service during Passion week, in the Roman Catholic Church.
It was composed by Jacopone, a Franciscan of the thirteenth century,
and has been set to music by Pergolese, also by Rossini.
In the catalogue of the Library of Burgundy, No. 13,993, is the
“Item fol. 77. Benedictus Papa XII. composuit hane orationem: `Stabat
Mater dolorosa iuxta crucem,' etc., concessitque cuilibet confesso
poenitenti dicenti eam pro qualibet vice 30 dies indulgentium.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Stabat Mater from Fact Monster:
- Giovanni Battista Pergolesi - Pergolesi, Giovanni Battista Pergolesi, Giovanni Battista , 1710–36, Italian composer of the ...
- Jacopone da Todi - Jacopone da Todi Jacopone da Todi , 1230?–1306, Italian religious poet, whose name was ...
- Gioacchino Antonio Rossini - Rossini, Gioacchino Antonio Rossini, Gioacchino Antonio , 1792–1868, Italian operatic ...
- February 29 Birthdays: Gioacchino Rossini - February 29 birthdays: Gioacchino Rossini, Antonio Sabato, Jr., Herman Hollerith, Ann Lee
- Encyclopedia: Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches: Liturgy, Hymns, and Prayers - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches: Liturgy, Hymns, and Prayers.