American standard of 1776. A snake with thirteen rattles, about
to strike, with the motto “DON'T
TREAD ON ME.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Standard from Fact Monster:
- standard of living - standard of living standard of living, level of consumption that an individual, group, or nation ...
- standard schnauzer - standard schnauzer: standard schnauzer: see schnauzer.
- gold standard - gold standard: gold standard: see bimetallism; international monetary system; money.
- standard time - standard time standard time, civil timeused within a given time zone. The earth is divided into 24 ...
- standard temperature and pressure - standard temperature and pressure: standard temperature and pressure: see STP.