From the verb to stick (to fasten, make firm, fix).
The fixed capital of a farm. Stock in trade. The fixed
The village stocks,
in which the feet are stuck or fastened. A gun stock, in
which the gun is stuck or made fast.
It is on the stocks.
It is in hand, but not yet finished. The stocks is the frame in
which a ship is placed while building, and so long as it is in hand it
is said to be or to lie on the stocks.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Stock from Fact Monster:
- stock, in botany - stock stock, in botany, common name for any species of the genus Matthiola, for Malcomia maritima ...
- grafting - grafting grafting, horticultural practice of uniting parts of two plants so that they grow as one. ...
- stock, in finance - stock stock, in finance, instrument certifying to shares in the ownership of a corporation. Bonds ...
- Dow 101 - Dow 101 Five Little-Known Facts About the Dow Jones Industrials Average by Tasha Vincent RELATED ...
- stock exchange - stock exchange stock exchange, organized market for the trading of stocks and bonds (see bond; ...