The babes of Strode are born with tails.
As Becket, that good saint, sublimely rode,
Thoughtless of insult, through the town of Strode,
What did the mob? Attacked his horse's rump
And cut the tail, so flowing, to the stump.
What does the saint? Quoth he, `For this vile trick
The town of Strode shall heartily be sick.
And lo! by power divine, a curse prevails -
The babes of Strode are born with horse's tails.
Peter Pindar Epistle to the Pope
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Strode from Fact Monster:
- John Strode BARBOUR, Jr. - BARBOUR, John Strode, Jr. (1820—1892) Senate Years of Service: 1889-1892 Party: Democrat ...
- John Strode BARBOUR - BARBOUR, John Strode (1790—1855) BARBOUR, John Strode, (father of John Strode Barbour, Jr., ...
- William KELLY - KELLY, William (1786—1834) Senate Years of Service: 1822-1825 Party: Democratic Republican; ...
- Henry H. CHAMBERS - CHAMBERS, Henry H. (1790—1826) Senate Years of Service: 1825-1826 Party: Jacksonian CHAMBERS, ...
- Jefferson Davis: Bibliography - Bibliography See his papers, ed. by H. M. Monroe, Jr., J. T. McIntosh, and L. L. Crist (10 vol., ...