(The) or The Submerged Tenth. The proletariat,
sunk or submerged in poverty; the gutter-class; the waifs and strays
“All but the `submerged' were bent upon merrymaking.” —Society, November 12th, 1892. p. 1273.
“If Mr. Booth has not inaugurated remedial work among the submerged
tenth, he has certainly set the fashion of writing and talking about
them.” —Newspaper paragraph, October 13th, 1891.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Submerged from Fact Monster:
- Roundup of Recent Science Discoveries, 2000 - Roundup of Recent Science Discoveries, 2000 Ice Age Haute Couture According to recent research by ...
- Zoar, in the Bible - Zoar Zoar , in the Bible; at first named Bela, it was the only one of the Cities of the Plain (see ...
- Lake Nasser - Nasser, Lake Nasser, Lake, c.1,550 sq mi (4,010 sq km), on the Nile River, SE Egypt and N Sudan. ...
- duckweed - duckweed duckweed, any plant of the genus Lemna and sometimes of related genera. Duckweeds are tiny ...
- submarine: Development of the Modern Submarine - Development of the Modern Submarine The first submarine used in combat (1776) was invented in 1773 ...