(Mrs.). A facetious name for a washwoman or laundress.
Of course, the allusion is to soap-suds.
To be in the suds
in ill-temper. According to the song, “Neer a bit of comfort is
upon a washing day,” all are put out of gear, and therefore out of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Suds from Fact Monster:
- Bukavu - Bukavu Bukavu , city (1984 pop. 167,950), capital of Sud-Kivu province, E Congo (Kinshasa), a port ...
- Ajaccio - Ajaccio Ajaccio , town (1990 pop. 59,952), capital of Corse-du-Sud dept., France, on the Isle of ...
- Vicente Huidobro - Huidobro, Vicente Huidobro, Vicente , 1893–1948, Chilean poet, founder of the aesthetic ...
- Kivu, region, Congo - Kivu Kivu , region, c.89,000 sq mi (230,510 sq km), E Congo (Kinshasa). It borders on Uganda, ...
- Albert Fert - Fert, Albert Fert, Albert , 1938– French physicist, b. Carcassonne, France. After receiving ...