Tu fais suisse. You live alone; you are a misanthrope. Suisse
means porter or door-keeper, hence “Parler au Suisse” (“Ask the
porter,” or “Enquire at the porter's lodge”). The door-keeper lives in
a lodge near the main entrance, and the solitariness of his position,
cut off from the house and servants, gave rise to the phrase. At one
time these porters were for the most part Swiss.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Suisse from Fact Monster:
- Ernest Ansermet - Ansermet, Ernest Ansermet, Ernest , 1883–1969, Swiss conductor. For several years he was a ...
- Switzerland - Switzerland Switzerland , Fr. Suisse, Ger. Schweiz, Ital. Svizzera, officially Swiss Confederation, ...
- Holocaust Reparations - Holocaust Reparations Looted gold makes its way across half a century to compensate slave laborers ...
- Jules Simon - Simon, Jules Simon, Jules , 1814–96, French statesman. His full name was Jules ...
- Lance Armstrong - Teams, career wins, timeline, and biography