(2 syl.). The over-name; either the name written over the
Christian name, or given over and above it; an additional name. For a
long time persons had no family name, but only one, and that a personal
name. Surnames are not traced farther back than the latter part of the
Surnames of places.
In ford, in ham, and ley, and ton. The
most of English surnames run.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Surname from Fact Monster:
- The Top Ten: Most Common Last Names in the U.S. - December 17 - 24 Most Common Last Names in the U.S. Rank Name Occurrences 1. Smith 2,376,206 2. ...
- Most Common Last Names - Find the most common last names in the United States, according to the 2000 census.
- Business Cards: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker - Names and meanings based on surname, occupations, and origins from Barker to Wall.
- Gambarelli - Gambarelli Gambarelli, surname of two Florentine artists: see Rossellino.
- Barca - Barca Barca, surname, probably meaning lightning, given members of a powerful Carthaginian family: ...