(2 syl.). The over-name; either the name written over the
Christian name, or given over and above it; an additional name. For a
long time persons had no family name, but only one, and that a personal
name. Surnames are not traced farther back than the latter part of the
Surnames of places.
most of English surnames run.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Surname from Fact Monster:
- The Top Ten: Most Common Last Names in the U.S. - December 17 - 24 Most Common Last Names in the U.S. Rank Name Occurrences 1. Smith 2,376,206 2. ...
- Most Common Last Names - Find the most common last names in the United States, according to the 2000 census.
- Business Cards: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker - Names and meanings based on surname, occupations, and origins from Barker to Wall.
- Gambarelli - Gambarelli Gambarelli, surname of two Florentine artists: see Rossellino.
- Barca - Barca Barca, surname, probably meaning lightning, given members of a powerful Carthaginian family: ...