Anglo-Saxon, Suth-rea (south of the river —i.e. the Thames), or Suth-rie (south kingdom).
Saddle White Surrey for the field tomorrow
Surrey is the Syrian horse, as Roan Barbary in Richard II. is the Barbary horse or barb. (See Horse.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Surrey from Fact Monster:
- Surrey, Henry Howard, earl of - Surrey, Henry Howard, earl of Surrey, Henry Howard, earl of, 1517?–1547, English poet; son of ...
- Surrey - Surrey Surrey, county (1991 pop. 997,000), 653 sq mi (1,691 sq km), SE England. The county seat is ...
- Henry Howard - Howard, Henry: Howard, Henry: see Surrey, Henry Howard, earl of.
- Chertsey - Chertsey Chertsey , town (1991 pop. 10,198), Surrey, SE England. Its market gardens serve London. ...
- Caterham and Warlingham - Caterham and Warlingham Caterham and Warlingham , town (1991 pop. 30,331), Surrey, SE England. A ...