and Sycomore. Sycamore is the plane-tree of the maple
family (Acer pseudo-platanus, or greater maple). The sycomore
is the Egyptian fig-tree (Greek, sukomoros, sukos, a fig). The
tree into which Zacchæus climbed (Luke xix. 4) to see Christ pass is
wrongly called a sycamore or maple, as it was the sycomore or wild fig.
The French have translated the word correctly - “[Il] montait sur un
sycomore pour le voir.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Sycamore from Fact Monster:
- plane tree - plane tree plane tree, sycamore,or buttonwood,any species of the genus Platanus, deciduous trees of ...
- sycamore - sycamore: sycamore: see plane tree.
- Watauga - Watauga Watauga , river, 60 mi (97 km) long, rising in the Blue Ridge Mts., NW N.C., and flowing NW ...
- Elizabethton - Elizabethton Elizabethton, city (1990 pop. 11,931), seat of Carter co., NE Tenn., on the Watauga ...
- James Prather JONTZ - JONTZ, James Prather (1951—) JONTZ, James Prather, a Representative from Indiana; born in ...