says Richardson, derives its name from Suri (a delicate
rose); hence Suristan (the land of roses). The Jews called Syria Aram.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Syria from Fact Monster:
- Golan Heights - Golan Heights Golan Heights, strategic upland region (2003 est. pop. 10,500), c.500 sq mi (1,250 sq ...
- Syria - Map of Syria & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.
- Syria - Information on Syria — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Syria - Syria Syria , officially Syrian Arab Republic, republic (2005 est. pop. 18,449,000), 71,467 sq mi ...
- Syria - World—Country Profiles U.S. Department of State Background Note Syria The Ommayad Mosque, ...