a cat, so called because the brindlings of the tabby were
thought to resemble the waterings of the silk of the name. (French, tabis; Italian, etc., tabi; Persian, retabi, a rich
Demurest of the tabby kind,
The pensive Selima reclined.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tabby from Fact Monster:
- tabby cat - tabby cat: tabby cat: see cat.
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) LEMONADE : BEVERAGE :: _____ : cat Hint tabby whiskers soft Word Quiz ...
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) TABBY : CAT :: _____ : jewelry Hint bracelet accessories precious Word Quiz ...
- taffeta - taffeta taffeta, cloth, originally silk but now also made of synthetic fibers, supposed to have ...
- wildcat - wildcat wildcat, common name of Old World cats (Felis sylvestris) of Europe, Asia, and Africa. The ...