Devoted, Forbidden. This is a Polynesian term, and means
consecrated or set apart. Like the Greek anathema, the Latin sacer, the French sacre, etc., the word has a double
meaning - one to consecrate, and one to incur the penalty of violating
the consecration. (See Tapu.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tabooed from Fact Monster:
- taboo - taboo taboo or tabu, prohibition of an act or the use of an object or word under pain of ...
- tabu - tabu: tabu: see taboo.
- mana - mana: mana: see animism; taboo.
- mores - mores mores , concept developed by William Graham Sumner to designate those folkways that if ...
- purification - purification purification, in religion, the ceremonial removal of what the religion deems unclean. ...