This word is derived from Taranto the city, or from Thara the
river in Apulia, in the vicinity of which the venomous hairy spiders
abound. (Kircher: De Arte Mag.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tarantula from Fact Monster:
- tarantula - tarantula tarantula , name applied chiefly to several species of the large, hairy spiders of the ...
- KidVideos: Tarantulas - KidVid Video about Tarantulas by Enzoology.
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) TARANTULA : SPIDER :: _____ : award Hint recognize Emmy withhold Word Quiz ...
- tarantella - tarantella tarantella , Neapolitan folk dance that first appeared in Taranto, Italy, in the 17th ...
- KidVideos: King Snakes - Kid video of King Snakes.|Videos for Kids...by Kids