A beat on the drum at night to recall the soldiers to their
barracks. It sounded at nine in summer and eight in winter. (French, tapoter or tapotez tous.)
The devil's tattoo.
Drumming with one's finger on the furniture, or with one's toe on
the ground - a monotonous sound, which gives the listener the “blue
(To). To mark the skin, especially the face, with
indelible pigments rubbed into small punctures. (Tahitan, tatu, from ta, mark.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tattoo from Fact Monster:
- tattoo - tattoo tattoo, the marking of the skin with punctures into which pigment is rubbed. The word ...
- Noomi Rapace - Biography of Noomi Rapace, The star of the Dragon Tattoo movies based on Stieg Larsson's novels
- body-marking - body-marking body-marking, painting, tattooing, or scarification (cutting or burning) of the body ...
- Maureen Stapleton - Stapleton, Maureen Stapleton, Maureen, 1925–2006, American actress, b. Troy, N.Y. ...
- Trace Cyrus - Biography of Trace Cyrus, Lead singer for the band Metro Station