is a dog that “takes the earth,” or unearths his prey. Dog Tray
is merely an abbreviation of the same word. Terrier is also applied to
the hole which foxes, badgers, rabbits, and so on, dig under ground to
themselves from the hunters. The dog called a terrier creeps
into these holes like a ferret to rout out the victim. (Latin, terra, the earth.) Also a land-roll or description of estates.
There are short-and long-haired terriers. (1) Short-haired: the black-and-tan, the schipperke, the bull-terrier, and the
fox-terrier. (2) Long-haired: the Bedlington, the Dandy
Dinmont, and the Irish, Scotch, and Yorkshire terrier.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Terrier from Fact Monster:
- Australian terrier - Australian terrier Australian terrier, breed of small, hardy terrier perfected in Australia c.1885. ...
- Irish terrier - Irish terrier Irish terrier, a breed of hardy working terrier developed in the British Isles and ...
- Boston terrier - Boston terrier Boston terrier, breed of small, lively nonsporting dog developed in the United ...
- Bedlington terrier - Bedlington terrier Bedlington terrier, breed of long-legged, lithe terrier developed in the eastern ...
- silky terrier - silky terrier silky terrier, breed of agile, spirited toy dog originated in Australia in the early ...