(The). The species called Silybum Marianum, we
are told, owes the white markings on its leaves to the milk of the
Virgin Mary, some of which fell thereon and left a white mark behind. (See Christian Traditions.)
are said to be a cure for stitch in the side, especially the
species called “Our Lady's Thistle.” According to the Doctrine of
Nature has labelled every plant, and the prickles of
the thistle tell us the plant is efficacious for prickles
stitches in the side. (See
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Thistle from Fact Monster:
- thistle - thistle thistle, popular name for many spiny and usually weedy plants, but especially applied to ...
- Canada thistle - Canada thistle: Canada thistle: see thistle.
- Russian thistle - Russian thistle: Russian thistle: see goosefoot; tumbleweed.
- tumbleweed - tumbleweed tumbleweed, any of several plants, particularly abundant in prairie and steppe regions, ...
- goosefoot - goosefoot goosefoot, common name for the genus Chenopodium, as well as for the goosefoot family, ...