(St.). Patron saint of architects. The tradition is that
Gondoforus, king of the Indies, gave him a large sum of money to build
a palace. St. Thomas spent it on the poor, “thus erecting a superb
palace in heaven.”
The symbol of St. Thomas
is a builder's square, because he was the patron of masons and
architects. Christians of St. Thomas. In the southern parts of
Malabar there were some 200,000 persons who called themselves
“Christians of St. Thomas” when Gama discovered India. They had been
1,300 years under the jurisdiction of the patriarch of Babylon, who
appointed their materene (archbishop). When Gama arrived the head of
the Malabar Christians was Jacob, who styled himself “Metropolitan of
India and China.” In 1625 a stone was found near Siganfu with a cross
on it, and containing a list of the materenes of India and China.
The dogmatical prating squire in Crabbe's Borough (letter
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Thomas from Fact Monster:
- Gospel of Thomas - Thomas, Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of, a collection of sayings, composed originally in Greek, ...
- John Thomas - John Thomas Born: 1907 Birthplace: East St. Louis, Illinois Fiberglass—In the 1930s, John ...
- Hans Thoma - Thoma, Hans Thoma, Hans , 1839–1924, German painter and lithographer. He was influenced by ...
- Ludwig Thoma - Thoma, Ludwig Thoma, Ludwig , 1867–1921, German novelist, dramatist, and poet. Thoma ...
- Isaiah Thomas - Thomas, Isaiah Thomas, Isaiah, 1749–1831, American patriot and printer, from Worcester, Mass. ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring