Calvin (Admonitio de Reliquiis) gives a long list of
places claiming to possess one or more of the thorns which composed the
Saviour's crown. To his list may be added Glastonbury Abbey, where was
also the spear of Longius or Longinus, and some of the Virgin's milk.
The thorns of Dauphiné will never prick unless they prick the first day.
This proverb is applied to natural talent. If talent does not show
itself early, it will never do so- the truth of which application is
very doubtful indeed.
Si l'espine non picque quand nai,
A pene que picque jamai.
Proverb in Dauphine.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Thorns from Fact Monster:
- Toruń - Toruń Toruń , Ger. Thorn, city (1993 est. pop. 201,700), capital (with Bydgoszcz) of ...
- Christ's-thorn - Christ's-thorn Christ's-thorn, name for several Old World plants popularly said to have ...
- Courtney Thorne-Smith - Courtney Thorne-Smith actress Born: 11/8/1968 Birthplace: San Francisco Thorne-Smith was one of the ...
- thorn, in botany - thorn thorn, sharp-pointed projection on some plants, usually protective in function. Botanically, ...
- Thorn, German name for Toruń, Poland - Thorn: Thorn: see Toruń, Poland.