That's the ticket or That's the ticket for soup. That's
the right thing. The ticket to be shown in order to obtain something.
Some think that the word “ticket” in this phrase is a corruption of etiquette.
What's the ticket?
What is the arrangement?
“ `Well,' said Bob Cross, `what's the ticket, youngster? Are you to
go aboard with us?” —Captain Murryat.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ticket from Fact Monster:
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) SCHOOL : HOMEWORK :: orchestra : _____ Hint music violin ticket Word Quiz ...
- Diosdado Macapagal - Macapagal, Diosdado Macapagal, Diosdado , 1911–97, Philippine president (1961–65). A ...
- sweepstakes - sweepstakes sweepstakes, contest or race, usually a horse race, on which a lottery is run. Prizes ...
- Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo - Macapagal-Arroyo, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Gloria , 1947–, Philippine political leader, ...
- Thomas Andrews Hendricks - Hendricks, Thomas Andrews Hendricks, Thomas Andrews, 1819–85, American political leader, b. ...