[the Arrow]. So called from the rapidity of its current.
Hiddekel is “The Dekel,” or Diglath, a Semitic corruption of Tigra, Medo-Persic for arrow (Gen. ii. 14.)
“Flumini, a celeritate qua defluit Tigri nomen est; quia Persica
lingua, tigrim sagittam appellant.” —Quintus Curtius.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tigris from Fact Monster:
- Tigris - Tigris Tigris , river of SW Asia, c.1,150 mi (1,850 km) long, rising in the Taurus Mts., E Turkey, ...
- Pearl, river, China - Pearl Pearl, Chin. Zhujiang, river, 110 mi (177 km) long, S Guangdong prov., S China. Formed at ...
- Boca Tigris - Boca Tigris Boca Tigris, China: see Pearl, river.
- Hiddekel - Hiddekel Hiddekel, Hebrew name for the Tigris.
- Iraq - Learn about the history, geography, conflicts and culture of Iraq and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Iraq — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.