A beautiful Trojan beloved by Aurora. He begged the goddess
to grant him immortality, which request the goddess granted; but as he
had forgotten to ask for youth and vigour he soon grew old, infirm, and
ugly. When life became insupportable he prayed Aurora to remove him
from the world; this, however, she could not do, but she changed him
into a grasshopper. Synonym for “an old man.”
An idle scene Tithonus acted
When to a grasshopper contracted.
Prior: The Turtle and Sparrows.
Thinner than Tithonus was
Before he faded into air.
Tales of Miletus, ii.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tithonus from Fact Monster:
- Tithonus - Tithonus Tithonus , in Greek mythology, prince of Troy; son of Laomedon. He was loved by the dawn ...
- Memnon - Memnon Memnon , in Greek mythology, king of Ethiopia, son of Tithonus and Eos. In the Trojan War he ...
- Eos - Eos Eos , in Greek religion and mythology, goddess of dawn; daughter of the Titans Hyperion and ...
- Encyclopedia: Folklore and Mythology - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Folklore and Mythology.
- Greek and Roman Mythology - Greek and Roman Mythology Most of the Greek deities were adopted by the Romans, although in many ...