The Grand Tour. Through France, Switzerland, Italy, and home by
Germany. Before railways were laid down, this tour was made by most of
the young aristocratic families as the finish of their education. Those
who merely went to France or Germany were simply tourists.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tour from Fact Monster:
- Théophile Malo Corret de La Tour d'Auvergne - La Tour d'Auvergne, Théophile Malo Corret de La Tour d'Auvergne, Théophile ...
- The Boston Marathon: Virtual Tour - A no-sweat guide to the world's most famous race
- Ahmed Sékou Touré - Touré, Ahmed Sékou Touré, Ahmed Sékou , 1922–84, Guinean ...
- Tours - Tours Tours , city (1990 pop. 133,403), capital of Indre-et-Loire dept., W central France, in ...
- Saint Gregory of Tours - Gregory of Tours, Saint Gregory of Tours, Saint, 538–94, French historian, bishop of Tours ...