Tower of London
The architect of this remarkable building was Gundulphus,
Bishop of Rochester, who also built or restored Rochester keep, in the
time of William I. In the Tower lie buried Anne Boleyn and her brother;
the guilty Catherine Howard, and Lady Rochford her associate; the
venerable Lady Salisbury, and Cromwell the minister of Henry VIII.; the
two Seymours, the admiral and protector of Edward VI.; the Duke of
Norfolk and Earl of Sussex (Queen Elizabeth's reign); the Duke of
Monmouth, son of Charles II.; the Earls of Balmerino and Kilmarnock,
and Lord Lovat; Bishop Fisher and his illustrious friend More.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tower of London from Fact Monster:
- Tower of London - Tower of London Tower of London, ancient fortress in London, England, just east of the City and on ...
- Famous Buildings and Structures - Famous Buildings and Structures Prehistorical and Ancient The megalithic passage tomb at Newgrange ...
- Beefeaters - Beefeaters Beefeaters, popular name for the Yeomen of the Guard and for the warders of the Tower of ...
- Thomas Abell - Abell or Abel, Thomas Abell or Abel, Thomas , d. 1540, English priest, chaplain to Katharine of ...
- Tower Hamlets - Tower Hamlets Tower Hamlets, inner borough (1991 pop. 153,500), of Greater London, SE England. ...