These are my treasures; meaning the sick and poor. So said St.
Lawrence when the Roman praetor commanded him to deliver up his
treasures. He was then condemned to be roasted alive on a gridiron
One day a lady from Campania called upon Cornelia, the mother of the
Gracchi, and after showing her jewels, requested in return to see those
belonging to the famous mother-in-law of Africanus.Cornelia sent for
her two sons, and said to the lady, “These are my jewels, in which
alone I delight.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Treasures from Fact Monster:
- treasure-trove - treasure-trove treasure-trove, in English law, buried or concealed money or precious metals without ...
- The World's Treasures - The World's Treasures There may be lost pirate treasure buried in the coves of the Caribbean ...
- National Treasure - Starring Nicolas Cage, Harvey Keitel, Jon Voight, Diane Kruger, Sean Bean
- Treasure Planet - Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Brian Murray, Emma Thompson, David Hyde Pierce, Martin Short
- National Treasure: Book of Secrets - Starring Nicolas Cage, Jon Voight, Harvey Keitel, Ed Harris, Diane Kruger